MUSIC: Timi Dakolo Reveals Childhood Struggles

Singer Timi Dakolo is arguably the best vocalist in Nigerian music industry, the awards and his delivery style have proven this overtime. With his style of solo music, one will begin to wonder if he will ever make waves in Nigeria’s market considering Nigerians’ love for dancehall music. But, fortunately, Timi has carved a niche for himself and has become a household name in the industry. In a recent chat with TheNet, he spoke on how uneasy the journey was before and after he emerged winner of the maiden edition of West African Idol in 2007. According to him, “The big break didn’t come immediately after Idol. Despite that fact that I won the competition, it was very tough for me when I started my career. I had problems such that I didn’t know my left from right. It was very tough
for me and winning the competition put a huge pressure on me, people were expecting me to hit the ground running but nothing was happening.“I wasn’t releasing songs; I didn’t even know where to go from there. I later met Cobhams, I told him I may not have money to pay you now but I will pay you someday, let’s start making music and that was how my story changed.” The singer further revealed that he was born in Ghana and his mum is a Ghanaian but he grew up with his grandmother in Port Harcourt. “I grew up with my grandmother in Port Harcourt. I grew up to know that my grandmother was my only parent. She used to have a shop at Mile 3 market in Port Harcourt. After school, I would join her at the market. “I hawked pure water, plantain chips etc. I did a lot of hustling as a young boy. But the truth is, what I went through while growing up made me who I am today, the experience taught me that hard work pays,” he explained. He added also that he makes his money from performing at corporate events and as well, gets paid for performing at birthdays and private parties. But he doesn’t appear in most of the publicised music concerts.Late last year, the singer and his wife shared the story of what love means to them. 

Comments