Christmas is always bitter-sweet for me —Niyiola


Eniola Akinbo, also known as Niyiola, is a female artiste signed under EME Records. In this interview with  JOAN OMIONAWELE , she speaks about her music, fashion and style, among other issues. Excerpts.
OF all professions, why did you choose music?  
Concerning my talents or everything I can do or love to do, music makes me the happiest. I wake up every morning with a desire to make music and if for any reason I could no longer make music the way I know how to, I know that I would be very unhappy.

How did you get into it?
My first bite of this apple was in 2000 when I took part in the Amen Starlet Competition. I emerged first runner up. However, my professional debut wasn’t until 2005. I did take some time off though but resurfaced in 2011. I had some soul searching to do. I wanted to be certain music was all I wanted to do; and so, here I am.


Aside music, what other things do you have passion for?
I love to empower people. Thankfully, I can use my music to achieve that as opposed to just doing it separately. I’ve got a few things in the works and shortly, you’ll hear all about that.

Before you get on stage to perform, what runs through your mind?
I try to empty my thoughts before I hit the stage. I want to be certain I have only one focus; giving the audience a performance they will remember.

So far, what has been your most challenging song?
It’s always more difficult to write party songs the way we like it here in Nigeria because it has to be a certain way most times but thank God, it is rapidly changing. “Don’t delay me” was challenging because it wasn’t exactly my style.

What’s your favourite look on a typical day?
Simple yet classy. What I wear depends on how I’ll be spending the day. If I’m just lazying around, then I’m either wearing a top and a pair of jeans or shorts. If I have an event  to attend or appearance to make, then that determines what I wear.

What’s your educational background?
I have a diploma in Journalism and a degree in English language from the University of Lagos and a certification in Aviation and Tourism.

Many ladies have their fashion weaknesses when it comes to accessories, what about you?
I love rings and I wear them all the time.


Have you ever had an embarrassing moment on stage?
That was a few years ago when I had to sing to an almost empty hall in Benin, Edo State. There was some sort of disturbance the day before at the venue and there were security concerns. The organisers decided not to cancel the show and we had a job to do.  So, we had to go on like that.

What’s your addiction?
I love yam, I can eat yam 50 times a day. It is my favourite meal.

How do you pamper yourself?
I go to the spa or somewhere nice and quiet.

What’s the weirdest thing you have done for love?
 Everyone is a fool when love is involved. We just hope for the best where matters of the heart are concerned.

Your latest video “Toh bad” drew lots of buzz on social media platforms, what was the inspiration behind the video?
With my music, I want to express the emotions women feel in their everyday life. With Toh Bad, we tried to show that love isn’t easy or black and white. I wanted people to understand that women make some sacrifices for the people they love. The important thing in life is making a choice you can live with.

It’s now common in the industry for musicians to dump their record labels when they seem to have grown even with or without contracts, how long would you stick with EME?
I am bound to EME by contract and every contract has its terms and conditions. I can only speak for myself, but I signed a deal with EME for a reason and we went over every detail before signatures were appended. And to the best of my knowledge, that contract has been adhered to. These things are elementary; a contract means you do what you earlier agreed to do. If there is a breach of contract, then, that is a different story.

What’s your relationship with Banky W?
Banky W is the chairman of the label I’m signed to. He is also a friend, mentor and guide when my music is concerned.

What does it take to be EME’s first lady?
Well, the rest of my label mates are guys, so it comes with the territory. However, just because something is handed to you doesn’t mean it will be a free ride. Staying here means I need to stay focused and be tenacious.

What are the expectations of the African female musician?
I wouldn’t know, but the standards I build for myself are really high. Relatable music that suits my personality, yet is enjoyable and keeping a lifestyle that is worthy of emulation by people looking up to me.

On an average, how many bags and shoes do you have?
I am ashamed to say I have lost count.

And your favourite designer?
Eli Saab, I love everything by Eli Saab.

What would you describe as your unique selling point?
Well, I’d like to think it is the texture of my voice and my style of music, but I think the fans would be better placed to decide exactly what it is.

What unforgettable childhood experiences have you had?
My childhood was eventful, but I especially cherish reading to my dad like a broadcaster and also writing choruses for our morning family devotions.

Can you remember the pranks you played as a child?
I was a very playful child; I once put a white piece of cloth over my head, made funny sounds, turned off the lights and sneaked into my sister’s room to scare her out of her mind. Of course, I got into trouble for that, but it was worth it.

What gadget can’t you do without?
My phones. I think they are attached to me.

How do you keep fit?
I work out as often as I can and I also eat healthy.

What does being sexy and stylish mean to you?
It means simplicity and class. Not doing too much or being trashy. You must always leave something to the imagination.

Your most awkward moment ever?
I had a wardrobe malfunction. It was rather embarrassing but luckily for me, some sellotape saved the day.

What’s your typical day like?
It depends on my itinerary. I am either in the studio, at an interview, an event or in my house.

Though you haven’t had any scandal, should you find yourself in one, how do you hope to handle it?
I’m thankful for that and I try to keep my life private. I hope I stay scandal-free, but I have a very good team behind me, so I’m sure they’ll handle it expertly.

We are going into the festive period....How do you hope to spend Christmas?
I haven’t really thought about it, but I will spend it with people I love.

Have you had any weird or uneventful Christmas?
My aunt died during a particular Christmas period, so when ever Christmas draws near, I think of her and so this period is somewhat bitter -sweet for me.

Comments